The Head of Contemporary Dance will be responsible for pedagogic, creative and artistic leadership across all levels and courses in Contemporary Dance offered by the Academy; curriculum development across all aspects of the Contemporary Dance curriculum and for the selection and development of repertoire for public performances and tours. He/She will be responsible for providing administrative support to the Dean in matters of scheduling, course evaluation, assessment, staff development and planning. He/She will also be required to undertake committee work and student mentoring.
The Head of Contemporary Dance is required to teach Contemporary Dance Technique and two of following: Composition, Choreography, Analysis, Dance History, Improvisation, Aesthetics and Criticism. He/She will be committed to the continuing development of strong links with profession and dance community, engaging in professional development, keeping abreast of current trends within professional dance training or scholarship, and to undertake other duties as required by the Dean from time to time.
Where: Hong Kong
When: To be filled the post in January 2019 or February 2019
Deadline for applications: 13 October 2018
The successful applicant will lead the School’s Contemporary Dance stream, and contribute to its thriving MFA in Dance programme. Applicants should hold a higher degree (preferably a doctorate), have extensive professional experience, substantial scholarly achievement, and experience of teaching at Master’s level. Appropriate academic leadership and management experience is also a must. The appointee will be required to teach in at least one of the following: Contemporary Dance/Arts Practice, Aesthetics and Criticism, Dance History, Dance Education, or Dance Science.
The appointee will be a member of the School’s Management team, and will be expected to play a strategic role in the further development of Contemporary Dance in the School in line with Academy and School priorities, especially as they relate to research in practice-based programmes.
Applicants should have:
• Advanced-level academic qualifications in dance studies (preferably at doctoral level); and a minimum of five years’ experience in teaching in contemporary dance, including teaching at Masters level.
• Substantial academic leadership and administrative/management experience in a contemporary dance or equivalent.
• Demonstrated commitment to the scholarship of learning and teaching; and to practice-based research.
• Demonstrated commitment to the integration of theory and practice, of curriculum content, and innovative teaching practices, including e-learning.
• A good understanding of contemporary dance practice, and current developments in the discipline, especially as they relate to practice-based research.
• Experience in curriculum design and writing.
• Fluency in spoken and written English.
• Experience of/teaching in a multi-cultural context.
• Fluency in spoken and written Chinese.
How to apply
Interested parties should forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae to Human Resources Office,
The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts, No.1 Gloucester Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong or email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For further information, please visit www.hkapa.edu