THE BIG IDEA 2017
Outdoor commission call out:
New work to be premiered at Birmingham Weekender
Where: Birmingham, UK
Deadline for applications: 15 May 2017, 10am
Produced by DanceXchange a co-commission with International Dance Festival Birmingham (IDFB) and Birmingham Weekender is inviting Midlands-based artists to submit a great commission idea. To be staged at Birmingham Weekender 2017 and IDFB 2018, with a particular focus on dance or multi-disciplinary movement based projects that take place in outdoor places and unusual spaces.
We are looking for ideas that take performance to Birmingham City Centre, achieving high impact with maximum reach and visibility, and with low demand for technical equipment and resources. It will be made with a view to touring to different spaces during the festivals and beyond. We are interested in high quality, innovative work that will entertain, engage and reflect the city’s young and diverse audiences. We welcome applications that contribute to the Year of South Asian Arts and Culture in Birmingham and the IDFB 2018 festival theme ‘Future City of the Imagination’.
DanceXchange will work alongside the successful professional artist/company to produce and realise the Big Idea Commission in a collaborative way. The Artist will be paid a Commission fee and the project will be creatively produced by IDFB. We welcome proposals that come with a company of performers. Alternatively, DanceXchange can support recruitment of collaborators/performers for the project which will be mutually agreed by the Artist and the Creative Producer. It is also our ambition to work with the artist/company to secure funds and tour the work beyond IDFB 2018, subject to negotiation between the Artist and DanceXchange.
To make an application your idea does not need to be fully formed but it does need to be a great concept that can be collaboratively developed within the requirements and time frame below.
If you have a great idea that fits our brief, we’d love to hear from you.
Your proposed Big Idea(s) must;
- be diverse in nature, appealing to the demographic of Birmingham
- be designed for Birmingham City Centre in outdoor places or unusual spaces
- be potentially tourable around the city and transferable to other cities
- be able to be staged in shopping areas and busy public spaces
- be movement based, but not necessarily dance – and can be cross-disciplinary
- be accessible to 100+ people per performance
- be high impact, entertaining and accessible to an everyday audience of all ages
- be light touch in terms of technical resources and infrastructure
Budget guide to the cost of the proposal can be up to £30,000 and no less than £5,000. Costs covered as part of BW & IDFB core budgets include producer, administration, studio space, marketing & PR. All other costs must be included in your proposed budget. The lead artist will be paid a Commission fee, so please include this in your submitted budget. We may support more than one project proposal if our budget allows.
Who can apply
Any professional Midlands based artist or company with a great idea can apply, providing they can satisfy the above requirements and are available within the following time frames;
• During August-September 2017, for the collaboration and creation period
• Presentation of the work at Birmingham Weekender 22-24 September 2017
• In the lead up to and during IDFB 2018, from around May through to 30 June 2018
Details will be agreed with the artist, depending on the specific needs of the project and the programmed times with each festival..
To apply please click here to download the full application pack – deadline is 15th May )
- 15 May 2017, 10am: Deadline for submission of proposals
- w/c 29 May 2017: Dialogue with shortlisted artists
- 8 June 2017: Announcement of confirmed artist
- 22-24 September 2017: Birmingham Weekender Premiere
- 1-24 June 2018: IDFB 2018 festival delivery
Eleni Kyriacou on 0121 667 8087 or email eleni.kyriacou@dancexchange.