Stomping Ground Call Out For Proposals
The Place, GDIF and DanceEast are coming together to commission dance for outdoor spaces in 2018 and 2019.
Where: United Kingdom
Deadline for applications: Friday 8 September at 10am
We are seeking proposals from artists who have bold and original ideas for new dance shows which take place outside.
We’re looking for ideas for shows which:
- respond to the changing landscapes of towns or cities and how we live, work and play in those spaces
- are adaptable to their location and can be presented across a range of spaces
- will be made for the outdoors (rather than work which has previously been made for indoor spaces)
- are formally innovative and experimental
- have strong design ideas
- have a visceral and/or emotional pull for an audience
We’re interested in hearing from dance makers:
- who don’t usually make work for the outdoors
- seeking to collaborate with artists from other forms (e.g. music, design, theatre, circus) and/or other disciplines (e.g. architecture, town planning)
- who have at least 5 years of making experience
- who don’t necessarily define themselves as ‘dance makers’ – we’re looking for performance with a strong and distinctive movement element, but we welcome applications from artists from other disciplines who use movement in their practice
- who are based in the UK
We will be offering two £15k commissions – one for a show which will be ready to present in summer 2018, and one for a show which will be ready to present in 2019.
If we are unable to identify a show that will be ready in 2018 we will either commission two for 2019, or one for 2019 and one for 2020. We would encourage you to think about the development and fundraising time you will need for your project and allow sufficient time for a rigorous and considered making process. We expect that the commissioned artists will need to raise funds in addition to the commission.
The partners will offer additional producing support, depending on the needs of the project.
The deadline for applications is Friday 8 September 2017 at 10am and interviews will be held in London on Monday 23 and Wednesday 25 October. Successful and unsuccessful applicants will be notified by Monday 30 October.
Contact details: For inquiries please email email@example.com
Your website or Facebook page: http://www.theplace.org.uk/stomping-ground-2017