The Rochester City Ballet’s Artistic Director is responsible
Where: Rochester, NY, US
Deadline for applications: Nov. 1, 2019
The Artistic Director is responsible for the overall dance and outreach programs of the Rochester City Ballet (RCB), providing leadership, vision and direction in the areas of artistic planning and performance. The Artistic Director is accountable for successful implementation of the policies set forth by the Board of Directors in keeping with RCB’s mission to nurture, promote and demonstrate the art of dance
1. Partners with the RCB Board of Directors and its committees, reporting to the Board Chair and Executive Committee. Serves as an ex-officio non-voting member of the Board, attending all meetings and presenting artistic reports.
2. Oversees program production, outreach program development and implementation in a fiscally responsible manner. Creates original choreographed works during the season, as appropriate and as needed consistent with the approved operating and strategic plan.
3. Ensures effective communications and working relationship internally with Executive Director, company dancers, Ballet Master and Mistress, production and administrative staff, Board and volunteers.
4. Ensures effective external communications and working relationship with audience members, donors, sponsors, grantors, media, community leaders, governmental agencies, other artists and arts organizations and the general public. Provides artistic link to the Timothy M. Draper Center for Dance Education, the official school of RCB.
5. Participates in developing partnerships with other arts and community organizations to advance RCB’s outreach activities and collaborative partnerships throughout the region.
6. Works with the Executive Director and the Board to develop strategies which will effectively communicate RCB’s mission to various individuals and institutions in order to maximize visibility and earned and contributed revenues.
7. Recruits and retains dancers by conducting annual auditions for company members and has/ holds the right to approve all selections.
8. Hires and mentors Ballet Master and Mistress and other staff as needed. Meets annually with these employees and executes oral or written evaluations of their annual performance, assessing their success in achieving the artistic and educational objectives set by RCB.
9. Cooperates with the Board and committees in planning and implementing fundraising activities, including but not limited to reaching out to prospective donors to RCB and support for RCB’s fundraising efforts such as guest performances, personal appearances at selected events and assistance in grant writing as needed. Participates in long-range planning, budgeting and community engagement.
10. Acts in a manner that is consistent with the RCB Bylaws and Resolutions of the Board of Trustees.
In Addition, the position requires excellence and experience in the following
a. Demonstrating artistic excellence as a choreographer and in selecting season repertoire consistent with RCB’s vision.
b. Training and advising RCB dancers by demonstrating high artistic standards and guiding them to higher levels of artistry.
c. Planning the educational activities of RCB in a way that upholds the (importance of the) outreach mission of RCB.
To apply, please submit
Position open until filled. For best consideration apply by Nov 1, 2019
For further information, please visit rochestercityballet.org