As part of the project MAKING A DIFFERENCE – Tanzpakt
This call is addressing dance practitioners based in Berlin.
MAKING A DIFFERENCE is a network by SOPHIENSÆLE, Tanzfabrik Berlin, Uferstudios, tanzfähig, Hochschulübergreifendes Zentrum Tanz Berlin, TanzZeit, Diversity.Arts.Culture and Zeitgenössischer Tanz Berlin, formed to expand contemporary dance by an aesthetic of difference.
Where: Sophiensaele, Sophienstraße 18, 10178 Berlin, Germany
When: Monday 24 June until Saturday 29 June 2019
Deadline for applications: Monday 15 April 2019
Contemporary artist Barak adé Soleil will facilitate collective research that
Research questions for this LAB are:
In what ways might we engage disability culture within a contemporary practice? What nuances are discovered individually and communally when artistic expression is framed through an intersectional and progressive social lens? How might the “pedestrian” ways disabled bodies navigate public & private spaces offer insights into crafting compositions?
– Engaging intersectional perspectives that reflect identity, culture and race.
– Be in a process with other expressions of movement and language that might be unfamiliar, including sign language, gestures and individualized forms of communication.
– Explore the concept of “access aesthetics”: what does it mean to create choreography that engages with the function and form of accessibility, yet articulated through one’s individual artistic expression? This will be investigated through embodied explorations with audio description, signing, wayfinding, relaxed protocols, and interdependent ways to create dance.
– Composing “
The LAB is targeted at dance practitioners with physical and/or sensory disabilities and covers the costs of access support needed to successfully participate. Requirements will be discussed with successful applicants once participation has been confirmed.
CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION
The LAB will take place from Monday 24 until Saturday 29 June 2019 in Sophiensaele (Sophienstrasse 18, 10178 Berlin). Working hours will be 11am until 5pm daily. On Sunday 23 June a Get Together will be hosted at Sophiensaele at 5pm.
A fee of 600,00€ will be paid to each participant. Working language will be English. If required, we offer translation from English to German.
Please note that this call is addressing dance practitioners based in Berlin.
Please submit the following with your application:
1. A letter of motivation explaining why you would like to take part in the LAB
2. Your CV
3. If possible: video documentation of your work
Form: In addition to written applications, we also accept applications by video or audio recording. Applications can be submitted in English or German. We ask for all applications to be submitted digitally to: email@example.com
Deadline for applications is Monday 15 April 2019.
We aim to make a decision by the end of April. Selections will be made by Barak adé Soleil, Nik Haffner (Hochschulzentrum Zeitgenössicher Tanz /HZT) and Anna Mülter (Sophiensaele).
No costs to participate.
Network MAKING A DIFFERENCE: SOPHIENSÆLE, Tanzfabrik Berlin, Uferstudios, tanzfähig, Hochschulübergreifendes Zentrum Tanz Berlin, TanzZeit, Diversity.Arts.Culture and Zeitgenössischer Tanz Berlin. Funded by TANZPAKT Stadt-Land-Bund aus Mitteln der Beauftragten der Bundesregierung für Kultur und Medien and by Senatsverwaltung für Kultur und Europa/ Kofinanzierungsfonds.
For further information, please visit https://www.facebook.com/makingadifference.tanzpakt/