Urban Movement Arts (UMA) is seeking dancers, choreographers, movement and/or performance artists as Artist in Residence for the summer of 2019. Our summer residency season will take place May – July 2019 at the UMA studios in downtown Philadelphia. We are looking for artists eager to directly engage with our community and challenge the technical, aesthetic, and conceptual assumptions of their genre. This residency offers free studio space, dance classes of the African diaspora/American vernacular, artistic support, and professional videography. There will be a public showing of the residents work, flexible in nature, at the end of the residency.
Where: Urban Movement Arts, Downtown Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
When: May – July 2019
Deadline for applications: March 15
The residency includes:
– Free membership to Urban Movement Arts for the months of May – July ($300 total value), allowing the artist to take unlimited classes in various movement disciplines.
– 10 hours per week of studio time determined in collaboration with UMA staff. Available hours are: Mon – Friday 7 am- 2 pm and 9:30 pm to 12:30 am. Studio time will be scheduled in advance via email sign up and a shared google calendar.
– Production coaching and dramaturgy. The artist will be guided in producing their own show, including DIY methods of lighting, sound, set design, and marketing.
– Professional video footage of the performance.
Duos and trios may apply as
– Cooperation in the documentation of the residency, as will be used for promotional and archival purposes. Photos, videos, and interviews may be
– We want to support artists who are interested in becoming part of our movement community. Interested artists are strongly encouraged to
– Privacy & Sound: Complete privacy or total silence
– Our space also hosts various practising crews and private lessons at odd hours.
– This is a
– The residency does NOT
To apply, please submit via email to Lily Kind at email@example.com.
Emails with Subject: 2019 Residency Application: [First Name Last Name].
All attachments as PDFs and named [2019 First Name Last Name].
A letter of interest of 1- 2 pages.
In your letter, please tell us about:
What is your current movement community/ who are your people?
What is your heritage as an artist?
How do you want to challenge your genre?
What are you trying to shift in your own practice, process, or performance?
What can you contribute to the UMA community?
What is your interest in African diaspora or American folk dance forms?
CV or Resume.
1- 2 links to video (under 5 min each) of your work. This can be past performances or works in progress.
We will also accept, in moderation, supplementary non-traditional application materials such as lookbooks, script excerpts, photographs, or project-mapping, submitted as URLs (not attachments) with
If you use your social media as an artistic or promotional platform to your work, be sure to include your name/handles. This is not a substitute for a work sample.
There is no fee to apply. Because we think that’s bullshit.
We recognize the
For further information, please visit www.urbanmovementarts.com