The Lilongwe Dance Program, which provides high-quality ballet and contemporary dance education for children and teenagers ages 3 through 18 years in Lilongwe, Malawi, is hiring a Program Director!
Where: Lilongwe, Malawi
When: February 2021
Deadline for applications: November 30, 2020
Founded in 2018, the Lilongwe Dance Program provides high-quality ballet and contemporary dance education for children and teenagers ages 3 through 18 years in Lilongwe, Malawi. The Lilongwe Dance program is the only school of its kind in Malawi’s capital city, offering students the opportunity to learn ballet and contemporary dance, taught by qualified dance professionals. We aim to cultivate our students’ passion for dance and build creativity, confidence, and leadership skills through weekly dance classes, workshops with experts in the field, performance opportunities and outreach.
To-date the program has nearly 100 students enrolled. Students participate in weekly classes, biannual recitals and class demonstrations, and perform in an annual production of the Nutcracker. In addition, we run outreach programs in local schools and communities. The program also brings professional guest artists to Lilongwe on short-term visits to teach workshops, choreograph, and lead performances. The program is run at Tweeties Play Centre, a children’s school and afterschool program offering languages, music, art and life-skills, and maintains a partnership with Madsoc Theatre in Malawi, along with international dance schools and companies.
For more information, please visit our website at www.lilongwedance.com.
The Dance Program Director will be responsible for overall program direction, working closely with the Program Team, including the Director and staff of Tweeties Play Centre and the Co-founders of the Lilongwe Dance Program. In particular, the Dance Program Director will be responsible to:
– Teach weekly ballet classes for enrolled students and at schools around Lilongwe;
– Teach classes in other dance styles (eg. modern, contemporary, jazz etc.) for enrolled students;
– Provide intensive coaching to train two Malawian ballet instructors;
– Organize 1-2 recitals or public performances annually;
– Organize periodic “observation classes” for parents to watch their students in class;
– Lead the annual Nutcracker production (choreography, costumes and sets will be provided)
– Host invited guest artists for short-term visits, including all logistical arrangements and organizing workshop and performance schedules;
– Lead fundraising efforts and program expansion in collaboration with the Program Team;
– Provide administrative support to the program;
– Other responsibilities as agreed with the Program Team.
– All interested candidates must meet the following qualifications:
– Over the age of 18;
– Minimum of 6 years of ballet training;
– Training in other dance styles (eg. modern, contemporary, jazz, tap) is an advantage;
– Experience teaching ballet and/or other dance styles is an advantage;
– Professional or semi-professional dance performance experience is an advantage;
– Open-minded, resilient, self-starter, resourceful and creative;
– Flexible, culturally-sensitive, team player, and willing to work and live in Lilongwe, Malawi;
– English language fluency.
Compensation and Commitment:
The Dance Program Director is a volunteer position, and will receive a monthly cost of living stipend, roundtrip air ticket, visa fee, vaccination coverage, and local health insurance. Assistance will be provided to secure housing upon arrival. The stipend and benefits package is sufficient to cover the cost of living in Malawi, and is equivalent to other well-known fellowship and volunteer programs in Malawi.
The Director must be willing to commit to the program for a minimum of 6 to 12 months, beginning in February 2021. Start date is negotiable.
How to apply / register: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume/CV detailing their interest in the program and qualifications, in particular highlighting dance education, performance, and teaching experience. Candidates are also requested to submit a link to a short video that showcases their dance technique.
Applications should be submitted to email@example.com by November 30, 2020.
For further information, please visit www.lilongwedance.com