A three-day symposium for professional dancers which explores artistry in dance through multidisciplinary lectures, workshops and Q&A’s.
Where: Korzo Theater, Den Haag. The Netherlands
When: 18, 19, 20 July 2022
Deadline for applications: June 18, 2022
What is artistry? How do you apply artistry to movement? Are there methods to develop artistry?
Artistry is one of the most ambiguous subjects in dance, yet an integral part of being a performing artist. Over the span of three days, More Than Movement will conduct a series of collaborative and interdisciplinary masterclasses, lectures and Q&A’s, which will investigate the industry’s definition of what it means to be a professional Performing Artist. Acknowledging the many different views, each practitioner and lecturer will be uniquely addressing different aspects of how we can define, develop, apply and explore Artistry.
Our goal is to create an open space for dialogue and collaborative learning. As an International Symposium, we hope to inspire an industry-wide dialogue which will continue to provide dancers with practical tools that help craft their artistic careers, and constantly maintain a strong level of creative agency.
July 18,19,20. Each day will run from 9:30 to 17:30, including a 45-min lunch break.
Every day will consist of in-studio workshops, lectures and Q&A’s which revolve around the theme of artistry.
Optional and informal group bonding activities will be organized in the evenings.
– Workshop: Fay van Baar, dancer NDT1. Using creativity and the power of imagination to gain confidence in our individual sense of artistry.
– Workshop: Andrew Richardson, Actor & director. A dramaturgical study of what Artistry means through the exploration of intention and purpose.
– Lecture: Ben van Gelder, international jazz musician
This lecture looks at ways to use stories, images and other objects as a way to conceptualize a framework for music and improvisation.
– Workshop.: Catherine Moore, Professor at Carnegie Mellon University. Exploring the embodiment of Space, Time, and Energy, participants will develop a common language for expressing inner impulses and explore how The Viewpoints can provide a means of ensemble creation and stage composition that is non-hierarchical in nature.
– Workshop: Eve-Marie Dalcourt, freelance dancer & stager.
Finding agency in repertoire work (including repertoire by Juliano Nunes).
– Q&A: Risa Steinberg, Teacher of Elements of performing at The Julliard School.
We will be discussing with Risa her course called Elements of Performing, which she has designed to help dancers understand the tools available to them to be as clear as possible as a performer/physical communicator.
– Q&A: Alexander Ekman, international choreographer/director,
We’ll be discussing with Alexander his personal take on artistry in the art industry, more specifically how to practice it from a creator’s point of view.
More guest artists coming soon…
How to apply:
– Must be at least 18 years old
– Professional dancer or student in final years of bachelor/graduate program.
Please apply through the website link provided below.
Costs for participants: €210 incl VAT
Contact details: firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information, please visit https://korzo.nl/en/shows/get-moving/more-than-movement/2022-07-18-09-30-00/
For more dance FESTIVALS, visit https://dancingopportunities.com/category/festivals/