The 11th International Competition of Young Dance Performers OPUS 1 – short dance piece 2019 is open to dancers born between 1995 and 2004, who can apply with:
– A solo dance piece which is both conceived and choreographed by the performing dancer
– A duet, which is both conceived and choreographed by the performing dancers – shared authorship
The aim of this competition is to promote contemporary dance and discover fresh talents. Not to push for competitiveness, but rather to foster the creativity of young performers.
Where: Slovenian National Theatre Celje, Slovenia
When: 20th April 2019
Deadline for applications: 1st March 2019
Age groups and lengths of short dance pieces:
Group B (born between 2000 and 2004) – maximum 4 minutes;
Group C (born between 1995 and 1999) – maximum 7 minutes
This year is no a prescribed topic.
Place yourself in an empty space and dance – WHATEVER!
Write down your topic on the blank list of paper – WHATEVER!
WHATEVER is in you, WHATEVER is around you, WHATEVER you do, WHATEVER you are looking for, WHATEVER you are wondering, in WHATEVER you doubt, WHATEVER are you interested in, we are also interested!
The jury will be composed of three renowned international dance experts. In previous years, jury members included Susan Quinn (SEAD), Matej Kejžar, Martin Sonderkamp, Milan Tomášik (Les SlovaKs), Eduardo Torroja, Ryuzo Fukuhara, Roberto Olivan, Boštjan Antončič (Rosas), Aleksandra Janeva Imfeld, Ofra Idel (MASH), Davide Sportelli, Ana Štefanec (EnKnap) …
This year’s jury will be announced as soon as it is confirmed!
The prizes will be awarded for:
– The Best short dance piece- dance performance and choreography (group B: EUR 300, group C: EUR 800)
– The Best idea (group B: EUR 150, group C: EUR 400)
– The Best dancer (group B: EUR 150, group C: EUR 400)
Apart from these awards, performers will also vie for the following:
– Dance studio Intakt and JSKD will select a young dance artist (only from group C), who will get a grant for producing a new dance project, which will be premiered at the OPUS 2020 and have a postproduction at the Platforma festival of contemporary dance in Maribor
– A young jury will select one short dance piece and award its performer with participation at dance classes and workshops at The International Summer Dance School in Ljubljana
– Matjaz Farič, artistic director of the international contemporary dance festival Front@, will select dance pieces, which will be featured at the 14th edition of the Front@ festival, September 2019.
– price for participation on CREATION platform (organized by MASH) in Jerusalem in 2020 (only for group C)
Application form: https://goo.gl/forms/
Republic of Slovenia Public Fund for Cultural Activities (JSKD)
Štefanova 5, PO Box 1699, 1000 Ljubljana
Tel.: 00 386 (0)1 24 10 522
Fax: 00 386 (0)1 24 10 510
For further information, please visit http://www.jskd.si/ples/