Gray Box are looking for a professional contemporary dancer who is interested in the question of legitimacy, experimenting with anger and combativeness.
Discover a non-judgmental and non-hierarchical space for producing and sharing knowledge and tools, create new forms of aesthetics based on empathy, inclusion, connection and collective creation!
Where: Saint-Ouen-l’Aumône (95), France
When: 1 day between Nov. 8-12, from 10-13h
Deadline for applications: October 15.
Based on interdisciplinary research based-collaborations, and non-hierarchical collective creative process, Gray Box creates and curates site-specific projects, focus on ecology, socio-cultural changes and subcultures, question hegemonic class, gender, normative behaviors, and dominant ideologies. Choreographies, public performances, exhibitions, fashion collections together with workshops echo the broader socio-political context, and challenge the body as both a historically disciplined, shaped, and colonized archive and a living public/private site, where power is constantly contested and negotiated. In the past years Gray Box has performed across Europe (France, Germany, Austria, Croatia, Hungary…), in major cities and small towns alike. It has been in-residence with many formal and informal cultural, artistic and alternative spaces (France, Malta, Austria, Serbia, Armenia, Hungary…).
We are looking for a professional contemporary dancer who is interested in the question of legitimacy, experimenting with anger and combativeness.
Have you ever felt yourself illegitimate? Have you ever hesitated to enter in an art space, speak up in a political conversation, join an activist community, because you felt that you maybe don’t have enough knowledge to have relevant things to say, or enough personal experience to hove interesting feedbacks to share? Why do we feel ourselves excluded in some cases, why do we have the feeling of not having the right to express ourselves on this or that topic or to fight for this or that cause? Why do we have this inferiority syndrome and why do we practice self-censorship? Is it due to a lack of academic knowledge, or a need of validation?
Can a men create a feminist artwork? Can a rich person talk about poverty? Can a cis heterosexual person claim for queer rights? Can someone defend minority groups without being part of?
Can I talk without reading ? Can I express my opinion without having theoretical references? My experiences and emotions have the same weight as my knowledge? Can knowledge replace personal experiences? Is experience a type of knowledge by the way? What should I do, what should I know, who should I be, what story should I have to obtain the legitimacy to fight for those values and ideologies I truly believe in, but I am personally not concerned with? Who has the right for fight and who don’t? Who is empowered to decide it?
WHEN & WHERE
- Date: Choose one day only! Auditions happen between November 8-12. 2021, from 10-13h, in the form of a workshop.
– Number of participants: 6 dancers / workshop.
– Audition program: Through the experimentation and practice of play fighting and movement improvisation, you will be encouraged to raise your voice, echo freely the broader socio-political context, challenge hegemonic class, gender, normative behaviors, and dominant ideologies, develop your capacities to resist and revolt against others’ judgements and expectations.
– Audition held by: Anna Adam, choreographer of the upcoming piece
– Response: Maximum 2 weeks after the audition
– Venue: Maubuisson Abbey, Saint-Ouen-l’Aumône (95), France
– Dates: June 6-12, 2022
– Venue: “School of Disobedience” Residency & Healing Center, Balatonalmádi, Hungary
– Creation program: exchange, debate, experimentation, creation
– We are looking for a professional dancer with or without degree: we are interested in you, and not in your papers.
– We appreciate dancers who are risk-takers, who don’t afraid of failure, and who are willing to progress, to gain new experiences, and to step out of their comfort zone.
– If you are a fighter, a warrior, a punk, a dissident, a marginal, an outsider, you should definitely apply.
– Our values are sincerity, generosity and authenticity. If superficial and fake things bother you, if you have also enough with this image- and marketing-focused society, apply.
– Discover a non-judgmental and non-hierarchical space for producing and sharing knowledge and tools, create new forms of aesthetics based on empathy, inclusion, connection and collective creation ;
– Challenge artistic conventions and traditional canons, confront standards, beauty norms ;
– Gain a new collaborative, experimental and research-based working method ;
– Liberate yourself from your fears, transgress your boundaries, go beyond your limits and push yourself out of your comfort zone ;
– For the creation in Hungary: covered travel expenses, accommodation (shared room), covered food expenses, salary.
If you want to better understand why we are launching this audition notice, why we don’t work with always the same dancers, why we are open to dancers who we don’t know personally, why we don’t want to receive your CV, what our values are and what we believe in, please, read our manifesto: https://www.grayboxprojects.com/manifesto.html
Send the following information to email@example.com
– Practical information: your name and where are you based currently (city, country)
– A not-edited video link (not attached video file, not WeTransfer) of 1-3 minutes (no matter the quality) of recent improvisation (not showreel)
– A not-edited video link (not attached video file, not WeTransfer) of maximum 1 minute (no matter the quality) in which you watch in our eyes (through your phone / camera), and tell your story only with your eyes. No need to speak, we will understand 🙂
- No photo
– No CV
– No showreel
– No motivation letter
For more dance AUDITIONS, visit https://dancingopportunities.com/category/auditions/