For the season of 2022-23 Black Box Dance Company Denmark is looking for exciting choreographers to work with.
Where: Holstebro Denmark
When: 1st – 5th of February 2021
Deadline for applications: 18th of January 2021
You must have a strong choreographic movement language and viewpoint. You must want to create a new piece of relevance in collaboration with Black Box Dance Company. You must want to create a piece the approaches an audience both used to and not used to experiencing dance performances. If possible, we would like the piece to incorporate the element of humor.
The piece should have 4 to 8 dancers from Black Box Dance Company. Casting and choice of design and artistic team (composer, light designer, costume designer etc.) will be done in collaboration with the company with whom the final decision be with.
The piece should be 30 to 60 minutes long and should address audiences from 12 years and up (young adults and adults). It should be a small or mid-scale production able to tour nationally and internationally. The piece may be part of a shared double bill.
We accept all applicants – regardless of experience or country of residency. Choreographic teams may also apply.
You must be available to work in the following periods:
• March – June 2021 Development of concept, text material and visual ID
• August – November 2021 Development of concept, design and sales material
• January – June 2022 Development of concept, design and music. Possible workshop in Holstebro.
• August – October 2022 Rehearsal (approx. 7 weeks) and premiere in Holstebro.
*Note that your physical presence in Holstebro Denmark is only a necessity in the last two periods.
The is a paid opportunity adhering to standards set by Danish Actors’ and Theatre Association. The company will cover all relevant travel expenses and provide accommodation in Holstebro Denmark.
Black Box Dance Company thrives to be and equal opportunities employer and hence encourages and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
More about BLACK BOX DANCE COMPANY
Black Box Dance Company has existed since 2013 and is today Denmark’s third largest and only professional dance company based outside the Copenhagen area. Under the artistic leadership of Marie Brolin-Tani and the Black Box Company team it has been and continues to remain the company’s ambition to promote and present dance and choreographic work, both nationally and internationally. Focusing on high artistic quality, relevance and approachability, the company has managed to form a wide and increasing gathering of friends and audience as well as recognition for its work. Despite its short life span, the company has proved itself as one of the country’s leading players in the dance industry, performing for adults and youngsters in a large variety of formats.
The company consists of professional dancers from all over the world with strong technical, artistic and performative abilities. The common denominator is that they are all at the start of their careers. They have typically completed their formal education and have acquired only a few years of professional experience. They have all been carefully selected at auditions, where at the last audition in 2019 there were over 1100 applicants from all over the world.
The company has extensive international activities, including tours in countries such as China, Brazil, Cyprus, Tanzania, Cyprus, Germany, Spain, South Korea, Sweden, England, Finland and Hungary.
Particularly important to the company is its base and hometown in Holstebro; a municipality that can deservingly call itself “one of the most culture-promoting municipalities” in Denmark. The city boasts a wealth of cultural institutions, such as the Musikteatret Holstebro, which, together with the Black Box Theatre, houses and forms the daily setting of Black Box Dance Company.
With the desire to promote diversity in background, experience, expression and method, the company has, during its 5 years, collaborated with a rich team of choreographers, composers, costume designers, lighting designers etc., who have all helped raise productions and projects to new heights. In addition to this, the company has also participated in a range of artistic co-productions and residency programs.
The company has worked with choreographers, directors and artists such as: Tim Rushton, Ben Wright Jason Mabana, Tina Tarpgaard, Sargun Oshana, Marie Brolin-Tani, Alessandro Sousa Pereira, Jacob Stage, Edhem Jesenkovic, Stephanie Thomasen, Thomas Bentin and Tindaro Silvano.
Black Box Dance Company website (currently under construction): http://www.black-box-theatre-and-dance.dk/dans/
Documentary – Life in Black Box Dance Company, January 2019: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsbkytrk2ug&t=162s
Please take the time to study the current and previous work of the company.
• “Punk A REBEL NEVER DIES”. Choreographer by Jacob Stage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AppYmnenvf4
• “A space in the dark”. Choreography by Ben Wright https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T23JXO9SVoU
• “NO SEX – a world of gender”. Choreography by Jason Mabana https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3jCfJGpzRU
• “Open hearts”. Choreography by Marie Brolin-Tani https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pPsyNtkQ0o
• “Carmina Burana”. Choreography by Melody Putu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZP4WzkRxA&t=16s
• “FEAR”. Choreography by Thomas Bentin og Stephanie Thomasen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29WE3_fJ33g&t=11s
To apply, please send us.
• CV with contact information
• Links to relevant videos of your previous and/or current choreographic work
• Max 150 words describing your choreographic practice
• Max 250 words describing the specific concept you wish to collaborate on with Black Box Dance Company
• Referral from former or current employers/collaborators. Contact information hereto
• If possible, please include reviews of previous or current work.
• If possible, please include information of where and when it may be possible to experience your work.
*Make sure all documents are pdf and links are easily accessible.
Interviews will be held via Zoom in the first week of February (1 – 5.february 2021). Only those invited to interviews will be notified by the 26th of January 2021.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Open call in the subject of the mail.
Contact details: David Cornelius Price
Associate artistic director & producer
For further information, please visit http://www.black-box-theatre-and-dance.dk/dans/