4-5 Performers for a world premiere by choreographer Min Tanaka tentatively titled “KA/N/KA/KU (SENSATION)”.
Dancer, choreographer and film star Min Tanaka returns to NYC for a month-long residency in June 2020 that will culminate in the creation of a new work developed alongside 4-5 performers.
Where: Japan Society, New York, US
When: December 2-3, 2019
Deadline for applications: November 4, 2019
In June 2020, Japan Society will host a month-long residency for the internationally prominent dancer, choreographer and film star Min Tanaka. Over the past ten years, Min has tried hard to avoid the international spotlight, opting instead to dedicate himself to site-specific solo performances called Ba-
MIn Tanaka’s ARTISTIC statement for THE Audition
To present a new work at Japan Society, I, Min Tanaka, will begin with an audition where I expect to meet as of yet unknown bodies.
Since the beginning of human history, humankind has always made
We don’t address the theme “words and body” much lately, but for
No matter what,
Min Tanaka, September 19, 2019
Eligibility: 18-years-old or older / U.S. citizen or a permanent resident
– No performance experience is required.
– Must have a keen interest in the human body as a medium for artistic expression
– Commitment to participate in all rehearsals, taking place from June 1 through June 21, 2020, and the world premiere performances at Japan Society during the week of June 22, 2020. A detailed schedule for rehearsals and performances will be sent out by the end of January 2020.
– This is a PAID position. Contracting and fees will be discussed upon casting.
– All cast members are considered to be New York City residents.
1. First, please read Min Tanaka’s above statement and write a 500-word essay to explain why you are applying to this audition.
2. Submit the essay together with a short bio (max. 150 words) via e-mail to PDepartment@japansociety.org by November 4, 2019. In the SUBJECT line, make sure to put [Min Tanaka Audition Application].
3. If you prefer, you may submit up to two (2) supporting materials, either video(s) or photo(s). Video submissions will only be accepted by providing a link to a website address, not as an attachment. Photos, however, can be attached to the e-mail, but please make sure the total size of the e-mail does not exceed 10MB.
4. You will receive an email confirmation that your application has been received no later than the following business day of your submission. If you do not receive an email confirmation, please contact PDepartment@japansociety.org after checking your SPAM folder.
For further information, please visit https://www.japansociety.org/event/min-tanaka-residency-creation