Scottish Dance Theatre is seeking inspiring and creative Marketing Manager with demonstrable experience in social media and online communications to deliver exciting content that is consistent with our unique brand, and to help us grow our profile and audiences.
Where: Dundee, Scotland
When: May 2018
Deadline for applications: Monday, April 30th, 2018.
Interviews will be in Dundee on Thursday 3rd May.
Job Title: Marketing Manager, Scottish Dance Theatre
Responsible to: Senior Producer
Key Working Relationships: SDT Artistic Director/Joint CEO, Head of Creative Learning, Rehearsal Director, Dancers, Dundee Rep Theatre Acting Marketing Manager and Marketing Associates
Scottish Dance Theatre is Scotland’s national contemporary dance company and is part of Dundee Rep and Scottish Dance Theatre Limited. Under the direction of Fleur Darkin, the company is committed to producing innovative and excellent work that is led by the power of the dancing body. Scottish Dance Theatre commissions the most exciting choreographers from all over the world to make bold new works with our committed team of outstanding dancers. The company also collaborates with artists of outstanding calibre in the fields of music, design and the visual arts to produce dance for Dundee, Scotland, and the world. The company tours across the scale from village halls in the Highlands to 1400 seat auditoria cities in China and India and is committed to reaching the broadest audiences possible.
To lead on the development and delivery of a strategic, creative, and inspiring marketing, social media, and communications strategy; develop and deliver exciting content that is consistent with our unique brand and voice to engage with existing and new audiences, artists, participants, funders, sponsors and other stakeholders; to increase the profile of our work within the UK, Europe and internationally by pushing awareness of Scottish Dance Theatre’s as both an internationally in-demand touring company and as the principle contemporary dance company of Scotland.
• To maintain and promote our brand as a reflection of our identity and practice as a national dance company for Scotland across all activity
• To ensure that all content including aesthetic, images, print materials, etc has a consistency of voice, style, quality, and visual identity
Social Media/Online/Film content:
• To create a robust Social Media strategy for all touring activity and Creative Learning events, including collecting online feedback, benchmarking and online advertising
• To create a live connection with our audiences that engages informs and creates a two-way dialogue to ensure it is a tool for understanding our audiences and the impact of our work
• To set year on year targets for increasing our reach and engagement within our online spaces – regularly reporting back on performance and suggesting improvements
• To ensure the Scottish Dance Theatre website is regularly updated, reviewed, and optimized
• Daily management and optimization of Scottish Dance Theatre’s social media channels – supporting growth and engagement within our online community
• To craft compelling copy with a strong focus on storytelling for social media and website
• To create and distribute regular e-bulletins and newsletters to audience and industry mailing lists
• To identify new digital tools, trends and best practices. Keep track of efforts and activities of competitors, sharing learning
• To develop and lead our ‘live video’ strategy
• To co-ordinate all filming and photography commissions and incoming requests from external sources
• To ensure compliance with accessibility standard, General Data Protection Regulations and Intellectual Property Rights on all of our platforms
• To work closely with our PR Associate to increase the amount of press coverage including preview, reviews and editorials and coordinate press access to the company
• To collate all press coverage and distribute to venues, stakeholders, creative teams
• To position and promote Artistic Director Fleur Darkin as a public voice for the arts and a cultural figurehead for Scotland to contribute commentary to the UK arts scene and raise the company profile
Promotional and advertising material:
• To co-ordinate the creation, design, printing and delivery of all appropriate promotional materials
• Together with Artistic Director and Producer, to write relevant, engaging and imaginative copy for all print and online content
• To capitalise on our wealth of diverse and beautiful imagery by ensuring our documentation and archiving is kept up to date and accessible live on our website
• To tailor our touring packs, programmes, flyer and poster campaigns to each project while minimising waste
• To book and source advertising, when required
• To design adverts, including promotional and job adverts, managing Facebook and Google advertising
• To work with the Head of Creative Learning marketing with requirements for flyers, e-flyers, newsletters, managing GLOW activity, creative learning press, updating classes booklet and other online resources, collating and sending information and resources to schools/education people, as required etc
• To support for Dundee Dance Partnership (DDP) related events including occasional print design, press releases, photo calls, social networking
• With Artistic Director/joint CEO and General Manager, service relationships with sponsors regarding benefits (free tickets, representation in print etc)
Touring and Relationships
• To work closely with the Artistic Director, Producer, PR Associate and Audience Development Associate in ensuring all marketing and media activity widens our reach and deepens our engagement
• Manage external creative teams, designers and photographers to ensure delivery to high standards, on time, on brand, and within budget
• To establish and maintain good contacts with Scottish Dance Theatre stakeholders including audiences, co-producers, partners, touring venues, artists and creative teams in support of sales activity and brand promotion, gaining a good understanding of their needs and priorities
• To develop strong working relationships within Dundee Rep and Scottish Dance Theatre
• To maintain regular contact with touring venues’ Marketing, Box Office and Front of House departments, and provide them with all the necessary information (brochure text, pictures, marketing packs, print, etc.); to develop excellent relationships with touring venues and secure best presence in their brochures, website, e-newsletters and venues
• To develop robust systems to import sales and customer data from venues to Spektrix, ensuring information is maintained in accordance with current Data Protection legislation
• To disseminate weekly sales reports of touring work to Producer and the wider team
• To be the main point of contact for all venue and stakeholder marketing enquiries
• Together with the Senior Producer, to publicly represent Scottish Dance Theatre at external events eg. Tanzmesse, FST, AES, Arts Marketing Association, Made In Scotland, British Council Showcase, Ambition, Culture Sparks, etc as appropriate
• To attend other networking and training events as required
• To manage and arrange all comp ticket requests for staff, VIPs, other stakeholders
• To research, develop and manage relationships with promotional partners (including other arts organisations, universities, schools, tourism agencies, audience development agencies and commercial businesses), in order to broaden Scottish Dance Theatre’s profile and build awareness of upcoming tours
• To be present at Scottish Dance Theatre performances and other events, as required, out of normal office hours
• To manage the annual marketing budget, ensuring close cost control and strategic spend; to provide monthly budget reports detailing expenditure against budget and reporting on variances to inform monthly budget forecasting
• To contribute to Board/Annual reports as required
• To understand and support the aims and objectives of Scottish Dance Theatre and ensure these are reflected in the delivery of the marketing programme
• To uphold the reputation of the company and its staff at all time
• Other appropriate duties necessary as requested by the Artistic Director/joint CEO
• Experience of curating, creating and editing highly engaging content for digital, social media, and print
• Sound editorial judgment based on a good understanding of target audiences and using data to inform content production
• Good literacy skills: excellent written and spoken English, proofreading, and attention to detail
• Experience in working with video producers, photographers, and graphic designers.
• Good interpersonal skills and ability to adapt working style to different people/groups
• Ability to think creatively, independently and to problem solve
• Significant and demonstrable experience within the arts, media or entertainment industry (knowledge of and interest in contemporary dance desirable)
• The salary will be £26,000 per annum. Salary will be reviewed annually in April.
• The notice period will be three months either side – with a 6 month probationary period from the start of employment during which the notice period is 1 month either side.
• The company will make a 3 net of your basic earnings per month.
• Holiday entitlement is 20 days per annum plus statutory days, rising to 25 days after five years completed service.
• Hours of work will be 37.5 hours a week, with regular evening and weekend working. Overtime is not paid but Time Off in Lieu is given for excess hours worked
• Dundee Rep and Scottish Dance Theatre Limited is an equal opportunities employer.
Please visit the Opportunities page at www.scottishdancetheatre.com to download the job description and Equal Opportunities in Employment questionnaire.
Applications should be in the form of a covering letter (no more than two sides of A4) and a CV. Please email both as a PDF document, together with the monitoring form, headed Scottish Dance Theatre Executive Director to email@example.com .
Closing date for applications is midday on Monday 30th April 2018.
Interviews will be in Dundee on Thursday 3rd May 2018.