On 21,22 and 23 June 2018, the inaugural edition of the ‘Rotterdam International Duet Choreography Competition’ (RIDCC) will be presented in Theater Rotterdam. The contest is open to choreographers from all over the world – and specifically welcomes duets in all dance styles. This contest is unique for being the world’s only competition dedicated exclusively to duets. Its principal aim is to support the development of new dance talent and offer emerging choreographers a chance to advance their careers in the choreography world. The RIDCC is set to be an annual event. The winner receives a €100.000 production budget – making the RIDCC the choreography contest with the highest prize money in the world.
Where: Theater Rotterdam, The Netherlands
When: 21, 22 and 23 June 2018
Deadline for applications: 1 April 2018
1. Choreographers may participate in the competition with a duet piece that is presented either as a premiere or hasn’t been performed on stage for the first time before March 2016. The duration of the performance can’t be longer than 12 minutes. The choreographies should be developed along the lines of a contemporary and genuine movement-language. The applicant is free in the choice of subject and music. The piece may be interpreted by the choreographer him/herself.
2. The application must be filed in online before 1ste of April 2018, 12.00 o’clock midnight CET and is only complete with sending an online link to the choreographic work (also rehearsal) which shall be presented at the festival. Only complete applications which are handed in within the deadline are considered.
3. There is no entrance fee. A pre-jury consisting of five jury members will select the choreographers and dancers to participate in the competition. Admission to the competition is subject to the pre-jury consent. The successful choreographers and dancers will receive an invitation by 15the of April at the latest. The competitors must confirm acceptance by 22th of April 2018. If the competitors do not accept in time, the invitation will become invalid.
4. Competitors are obliged to be available for performances on the three festival days. In consideration with us, it can also be two festival days (Thursday 21, Friday 22 and Saturday 23 June). They agree to be available for rehearsals, interviews, recordings and photos free of charge.
5. The first round decisions of the competition will take place on Thursday or Friday night by the international jury. The final will be held on Saturday night. The decision of the jury concerning the nomination for the final will be announced on Friday night. The finalists will again present their piece on Saturday. All participants will stay until the end of the festival as finalist and semi-finalist can receive a production award prize.
6. The decision of the jury is final. If a competitor is a student or company member of one of the jurors, the particular juror will withhold his vote
7. The participants will be accommodated at the loft of the King Kong hotel which will be shared with other participants. The organizer takes care of the hotel costs (incl. breakfast) and pays a subsidy of max. 150 euro towards the travel expenses per person.
8. Technical data – Semi-final – Theater Rotterdam kleine zaal. black dance floor; black curtain: backdrop black or grey stonewall. Final – Grote zaal Rotterdamse schouwburg.
9.The company award prizes will be handed out by and chosen by the director of each company. The aim is to give away each company award to the choreographer they choose and find suitable for there company. If they do not find a match for there company then it is not guaranteed that the company awards will be giving away.
10. The jury will choose the finalists and the 1st, 2nd and 3d prize and the XL Production award. All these awards will be giving away on Saturday 23 June 2018.
11. The content of the website can be changed at any time.
If you have any questions concerning your application, please contact us.
To apply, please fill out the subscription form on the website www.ridcc.com