Open Call: 3rd Architecture + Dance composition workshop (Athens)
“Trial + Error” Cross arts research group and architect-choreographer Sofia Kondylia call for architects, dancers and musicians to participate in the 3rd composition workshop ARCHITECTURE +DANCE(Group work).
After a rich feedback from two composition workshops, one instant composition workshop and one experiential workshop, “Architecture + Dance”research moves on and opens again! The 3rd cycle composition workshop is about group creation pieces following the paths of the research and meeting points of dance, architecture and music!
Guest speaker of us the music composer Pantelis Ntzialas!
The “Architecture + Dance” research
The architect’s and choreographer’s research studies the coupling of the two arts in the synthetic process. The correlation is based on the perception that both arts create space through the movement of the bodies. The body perceives, creates and understands space and its dynamics in a kinesthetic way.
More about architecture + dance research
The “Architecture + Dance” workshop
Objective of the choreography workshop “Architecture + Dance” is to feedback and develop the research throughout practice.
The participants of the choreography workshop create independent pieces, on an initial idea of them. At first, the participants become experientially familiar with the objective of the research through specifically designed visualizing and improvisation exercises around space/movement perception and performative convention (experiential part). Then, following continuous feedback from the coordinator and by using the suggested architectural and choreography methods, they approach their idea kinesthetically. Through movement, they gradually discover a somatically and intellectually primitivistic way to compose space and time, which draws on principals of architecture, dance and music (compositional part).
Video link from the meetings of the 2nd composition cycle
The 3rd composition cycle
Sa & Su [30.09 – 29.10.2017] , Performance 03 – 05.11.2017
The composition workshop will be hosted at “Aktina” Higher Professional Dance School for 5 weeks (October 2017). As the workshop ends the creators will present their work at Art Space “14th DAY” (November 03-05) as a production of “Trial+Error” nonprofit company.
The workshops address dancers, performers, architects, visual artists and musicians (professionals, graduates, students) and to amateur dancers with enough stage and improvisation experience. Dancers, architects and musicians will work in groups as co-creators. For architects and musicians no previous dance experience is needed.
Material from previous performances:
“Aktina” Higher Professional Dance School (1st floor)
10th Kallirois st., Acropoli, Athens
(metro Syggrou Fix, Acropoli)
Saturdays 30/09, 07, 14, 21, 28/10
16:00 – 19:00
Sundays 01, 18, 15, 22, 29/10
16:00 – 19:00
03 – 05.11.2017, Art Space “14th DAY”, Athens
* Participants should keep in mind that some extra tech rehearsals will be scheduled before the performance during the announced dates (November 03-05).
Deadline for applications: 29/09/2017
HOW TO APPLY
Please, send your cv to firstname.lastname@example.org or fill in the site contact/application form by September 29th 2017.
All applicants will be answered personally via email within 3 days. Selected applicants will receive information for a deposit amount of 60 €. Paying the deposit also means their registration on a first come first serve basis. Payoff by bank transfer during 25 – 29/09/2017.
COSTS FOR PARTICIPANTS
120 € for all workshop cycle [30 hours]
Early bird: 95 € for registering before 17/09 (20% discount)
20% discount for students of “Aktina” Higher Professional Dance School
15% discount for owners of Dancetheater plus and SEXWXO Assotiation card.
Terms of participation
• The meetings serve of an evolving educational target on the synthetic theory. The workshop aims to encourage every participant to involve personally in the creation taking the artistic responsibility of it. It is very important that participants can attend all the meetings and are on time in each one of them (10-15 min earlier).
• In case a participant misses a meeting, the coordinator cannot replenish lost information.
• Pieces that can be presented in the final performance are those that have been created during the workshop following the research’s methods and also can clearly express the initial artistic idea of their creators.
• All pieces will be worked in composition and interpretation of the participants under the supervision and artistic advice of the coordinator and musician Pantelis Ntzialas. The performance will be artistically directed by the coordinator, who do not claim copyright on each piece, except for the workshop and her research. After the first performance, participants are encouraged to continue working on their pieces and they may present them in other venues or festivals. In this case, they are kindly expected to refer to the workshop as a contributor to the creative process and to the coordinator as an artistic advisor.
• All pieces and participant creators will be promoted on press and social media as much as possible.
• Participants do not claim any percentage of the performances tickets, which cover all production, promotional and organizational costs.
• Costs of scenery and costumes are covered by the participants.
• In case there is a cancellation after 24/09/2017 no deposit fee can be returned. When the workshop starts no whole fee can be returned.
BOOK YOUR PLACE NOW!
“Aktina” Higher Professional Dance School
Third cycle implementation bodies
“Aktina” Higher Professional Dance School
“Trial + Error” Cross arts research group
Art space “14th DAY”
Sofia Kondylia is an Athens based dancer, choreographer and architect, graduate of NTUA Architecture School and “Rallou Manou” Professional Dance School. Following lifelong professional development (2007 – 2017) through dance, theater, improvisation, choreography and pedagogical workshops and collaborations, she now produces her own choreographic work and works as a dance teacher and independent dancer as well. Her research interests include composition, cross arts and academic research.
In dance she has collaborated with Pere faura, Les gens d’Uterpan, Angeliki Stellatou, Polina Kremasta, Kiki Baca, Vaso Yannakopoulou, Yannis Karounis and Eva Papadopoulou. In theater she has worked with Katerina Kyvetou and George Simonas. She has also worked with musicians Stefanos Syminelakis and Pantelis Ntzialas.
From 2011 until now she elaborates synthetic research “Architecture + Dance” exploring the coupling of the two arts in the creative process. In 2016 she codified her research into choreographic workshop “Architecture + Dance” and her related lecture performance “Human Constructions”. Her choreographic work has been presented in various Greek and international festivals such as Dance Days Chania 2017, STOFF 2017-Stockholme Fringe Festival, Greek Contemporary Dance Platform 2016, Dance Waves Festival 2016, Cyprus and more. In 2016-2017 she participated as a creator in Munich Bienalle of New Music Theater 2018 – SGT Onassis Cultural Center international platform.
She is a permanent member to Skytali educational plan since 2012, introducing movement to primary school children (2012 – 2017). Following this program, she has developed pedagogical, dance and cultural management skills. She has taught in several Athens primary schools, danced at several venues and Greek festivals (20th Kalamata dance festival) and has acquired experience in programming, team coordinating and funding mechanisms (SNF – Stayros Niarxos Foundation funded the program during 2015 -2017).