The Residence Support Program provides a time and place for artists to experience new encounters and carry out experiments to guide their future projects. Participating artists are expected to bring new ideas to the local culture and people while they, in turn, will hopefully acquire new perspectives through these fresh encounters. As a result of the residence program, the artists will convey their new experiences, gathered from the local lifestyle and our particular geographic situation, to their next destination. We hope that the residence program at Akiyoshidai International Art Village becomes a space for artists to go beyond cultural borders and expand their outlooks, exchange their unique understandings and establish relationships with fellow artists.
Deadline for applications: 31. July. 2013
Residency period: 19 January (Sun) – 14 March (Fri), 2014 [55 days]
Numbers of artists accepted
(1) 3 artists (2 of non-Japanese, 1 of Japanese) , under 40 years old.
(2) Artists who work on the theme above.
(3) Groups of 2 artists may apply, but no larger.
Artists who must be able:
(1) to stay at AIAV during the designated period of time.
(2) to participate in all pubic programs, e.g. open studio, presentations and talks and to create new work.
(3) to participate in the exchange programs for local community, e.g. talks, lectures and outreach programs.
(4) to provide images and documentations, e.g. pictures and videos, for publicity and archiving in accordance with AIAV’s request.
(5) to take part in educational programs at local schools and universities in English or Japanese.
(6) to work and live independently.
(7) to present the results of the residence program, e.g. exhibitions, reviews or talks outside Japan within a year after the program.
(1) Travel expenses: a round trip from your address to AIAV
(A round trip tickets for international flights, domestic flights and/or domestic railway tickets)
(2) Accommodation at AIAV (single room with own bath and toilet)
(3) Studio (the allocation of studios is decided by AIAV: artists may have to share with others)
(4) Production expenses: 200,000 yen
(5) Per diem: 2,800 yen x days of the program
To download the application form and for further information please visit: http://www.aiav.jp/programs/2013/application_trans_20132014/