The Bachelor in Dance Studies (Honours) is a 3-year programme combining practice and theory within the dance discipline with a team of international lecturers, academics and practitioners. With a strong focus on technique and performance, the students have two daily classes in ballet and contemporary dance.
About half of the study units are practice-based, including modules like choreography, dance devising, dance and technology, movement analysis or performance collaboration.
Academic subjects then look at analysing dance practice from a critical perspective and include modules such as dance as communication, dance and performance theory, or choreological perspectives.
Students have performance opportunities throughout the three years. The first three months of the third year are dedicated to a local and international tour that allows the students to experience life as part of a dance company. Past tours have visited UK and Italy, with the 2014 tour being planned to Spain.
Graduates have gone on to further their studies abroad, both in theory based MA on dance studies or management (at City University or Goldsmiths in London, or NYU in New York), in performance-based postgraduate companies (such as Edge or MapDance in the UK), and some graduates have also continued to work with the national dance company of Malta, ZfinMalta Dance Ensemble, as dancers or apprentices.
The course is free to EU citizens.
– London: 28th January, 10 am, Danceworks Studio 6
– Cyprus: 10th February, Dance House Limassol, Time TBC
– Spain: 17th February Madrid, Space and time TBC
– Italy: 7th April, Bari, Space and time, TBC
– Malta: April 13th 10 am, 9th July 7 pm (hosted by Dance Hybrid) University of Malta Dance Studios, San Gwann
In person auditions
Register at firstname.lastname@example.org indicating your chosen location
To prepare, applicants should bring with them:
1. A short phrase of movement to be shown with or without music, max 3 minutes (this can be their own choreography, or learnt).
2. A piece of writing about dance (250 words). This should be a response to a dance performance recently seen or a dance book.
3. Any notes on their individual interest in Dance Studies and questions about the course.
Please send the following material to the contact indicated below:
A video with the following:
▪ a 5-10 minute combination showing a variety of exercises from ballet barre
▪ a 5-10 minute series of contemporary technique exercises
▪ a 3-5 minute improvisation
▪ a short phrase of movement with or without music, maximum 3 minutes (this can be your own choreography, or learnt)
You should also send a document with the following:
– a piece of writing about dance (250 words). This should be a response to a dance performance recently seen or a dance book.
– a short writing on your individual interest in Dance Studies and questions about the course
After sending in your material you will be required to schedule a Skype interview.
Costs: n/a (small admin fee only upon formal application to the university, after the audition process)
Contact details: email@example.com
Your website or Facebook page: https://www.um.edu.mt/performingarts/notices/dance-auditions
DON’T MISS A THING. Subscribe to Dancing Opportunities by Email