The BENCH is back! Thanks to support from Arts Council England and Esmée Fairbairn Foundation, Year 2 of this game changing UK-wide programme will run from 2016-2017.
Annually, The BENCH offers a select number of female choreographers working in the UK (who consider themselves to be mid-career) an opportunity to participate in a 9 month programme of training, discussions, debates and mentoring. It offers a complete package of practical and theoretical advice, training and guidance, as well as opportunities to network, discuss and debate with other artists, producers and venues. In year 1 of The BENCH we selected 5 women to participate in the programme. This year, 2016-2017, we are inviting 7 women to join us and be part of a ground breaking initiative that will change the arts sector for the better.
Deadline for applications: 26th August 2016
The BENCH will prepare participants for an ever changing arts landscape, giving them the confidence and ability to stop sitting on the side-lines, get their talent and artistic voice heard and develop a strong network of future female choreographers.
Successful candidates for 2016-2017 will receive:
- 2 x practical and lecture based intensives to work directly with a range of leading choreographers, industry experts and business leaders (Friday 28 – Sunday 30 October, Herefordshire and Friday 9 – Sunday 11 December, Herefordshire)
- up to 4 contact days with an individual mentor who is an established female choreographer
- a bursary of £750 per candidate to contribute towards expenses
- a chance to pitch and be commissioned by 2Faced Dance Company to create a new work that will tour the UK from autumn 2017
- a chance to gain one of three £1,000 seed commissions towards a new work
- access to rehearsal space at 2Faced Dance Company’s base in Hereford (within specified times between November 2016 and May 2017).
The BENCH is open to applications from female choreographers who have:
- an established artistic practice, process and body of work in any genre of dance
- experience choreographing and presenting work professionally
- the ambition to have a sustainable career as a choreographer.
The deadline for applications is 5.00pm on Friday 26th August 2016.
To apply to be a part of The BENCH www.the-bench.org/about
For more information about the programme www.the-bench.org
Artistic and Business Development Manager
2Faced Dance Company